(HIB) – Whether it’s a cookout for friends or a quiet conversation with family, the backyard deck is the hot spot for summer living. So what’s trending now when it comes to making that space as stylish and functional as it can be?
“The line between indoor and outdoor living spaces continues to blur,” says HGTV/diy network star Jeff Wilson. “It’s changing the way people think about how they decorate and outfit their deck and backyard.
“Of course, outdoor spaces have to stand up to elements like sun and rain that aren’t a factor indoors,” he adds. “But from deck stains to lamps and rugs to electronics, there’s an amazing variety of items designed specifically for use outside.”
Wilson shares his five essential deck-cessories for summer and beyond:
1. Get decked out with color: The trend that’s making a big impact on outdoor spaces this summer is color. Adding a punch of color makes a tremendous impact, starting with the deck itself and extending to furnishings, fabrics and plants. The new line of Thompson’s WaterSeal Waterproofing Stain at The Home Depot comes in the five most popular stain colors, and each of those colors comes in transparent, semi-transparent or solid varieties for even more deck-orating options. The stains protect from water damage and add color all in one formula.
2. Light it up: Keep the party going after dark with outdoor lighting. More homeowners are choosing green lighting for their backyard space. Solar lighting is an eco-friendly, energy-saving option that requires no wiring or cords, which makes installation quick and easy. You can really light up the night with twinkling LED lights on a deck railing or floating globe lamps spread throughout the yard.
3. Old is the “new” new: The newest things aren’t always the coolest. Repurposing and reusing items is not only a hot trend, but also a great way to save money. Try using old pallets to build an outdoor coffee table or even chairs. All types of discarded items can be transformed into planters. Turn mason jars into lanterns. If DIY isn’t your forte, some companies offer outdoor furniture and accessories made from recycled materials, like an outdoor rug made from recycled plastic bottles available at Plow & Hearth.
4. Deck tech: Technology doesn’t have to stop at the patio door. There are many great gadgets you can incorporate into your outdoor space like solar-powered wireless speakers or a halogen patio umbrella lamp. A recent trend has been integrating a television into deck space. Perfect for watching baseball games or a late-night classic feature, televisions can be mounted to the ceiling, wall or planter pole with outdoor TV mounts.
5. Fire and ice: Maybe it is because they remind us of s’mores at camp – but fire pits, fire bowls and chimineas continue to be very popular for decks and patios. They’re all designed a little differently, but each allows homeowners to have small, cozy fires on the deck or patio. They come in a wide range of materials, from copper and other metals to clay to slate. But if summer temperatures call for a cool down, there are misting fans and affordable misting systems that attach to a backyard hose and can significantly cool down a hot summer night on the deck.
Creating the perfect backyard getaway involves a good-looking deck and the deck-cessories that best suit your lifestyle. The Thompson’s WaterSeal Deck of Your Dreams sweepstakes (www.thompsonswaterseal.com) can make that getaway a reality with $15,000 in cash and Plow & Hearth gift certificates. The sweepstakes is open through Oct. 4.