(BPT) – The kitchen is the focal point of any home. It’s a place where you eat, congregate and celebrate life’s big moments. If you are an empty-nester looking for the kitchen of your dreams, a parent seeking to match your kitchen to your growing family or you simply feel inspired to change things for the better, it’s time to stop dreaming and start planning.
Your dream kitchen has many details that complete the look. Three popular upgrades sure to add style and substance are granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and new cabinets. Here are the things you need to look for when considering your kitchen upgrade, courtesy of the professionals at DirectBuy.
There are plenty of options when shopping for granite countertops. Here are three things you should consider:
* Pick your color. You want your countertops to stand out and be the focal point of the kitchen. Choose countertops that are significantly lighter or darker than your cabinets. This contrast will draw the attention they deserve.
* Find the pattern. Some countertops have a small formulaic pattern while others feature more variety. It all comes down to what you find visually pleasing and what fits your style.
* From start to finish. Granite countertops are available in polished or honed finishes. If you’re looking to create a classy, state-of-the art kitchen, the polished finish is probably the better choice. But if you’re more interested in that classic kitchen feel, consider the honed look.
Your best place to get answers to any of your questions is your kitchen products supplier and design center, where they can work with you to determine the best fit for your needs.
Stainless steel appliances
Today’s stainless steel appliances not only look great, and are easy to clean, but the range of choice you have is tremendous. So how do you determine which model is right for you? Here are some things to consider:
* Less is more. How big does each of your appliances have to be to satisfy the needs in your home and what are your space options? If space is tight, you can also improvise by selecting a smaller refrigerator and then have a separate wine and drinks fridge. These can often go under the counter and replace a standard cabinet.
* Energy efficiency. Selecting energy-efficient appliances will save you money in the long run. Look for ENERGY STAR models whenever possible and you’ll cut expenses while reducing your carbon footprint.
* Where do you start? If you are replacing all of your appliances, start with the largest one, the refrigerator. How large a unit are you looking for? Do you want dual French doors? What about an in-unit water dispenser? Is counter-depth important? Consider these questions in advance to narrow your search. Stainless steel appliances have different finish patterns, so select your refrigerator first and then look to match that pattern while shopping for your other appliances.
Kitchens cabinets provide functional storage options as well as aesthetic appeal – based on their color and quality. This makes selecting the right cabinets very important. Here are some things to consider when shopping for new cabinets:
* What’s your style? Do you love big, bold vibrant colors or are you a person that enjoys the sleek, clean look of polished glass. Decide what type of cabinets appeal to you and be sure to compare your choice to your appliances and countertop selections.
* What about green? Want to find the perfect cabinets and protect the environment? You can do this by looking for cabinets made from bamboo, reclaimed wood or wheat board.
* Find new space. Installing new cabinets allows you the opportunity to improve storage space options in your kitchen. Floor level storage is a great bonus and you can extend your cabinets all the way to the ceiling just by removing the soffits.
The kitchen of your dreams is waiting for you. All it takes is understanding what you want and asking the right questions. To learn more about how DirectBuy can help you recreate your kitchen while saving you money, visit Directbuy.com.