(BPT) – Whether you’re celebrating a new job, new house or new member of your family, fresh starts and major life events herald a time to rejoice. While you’re feeling good about a positive change in your life, it’s also a great time to get organized so you can focus on what’s to come instead of worrying about where to find this or where to put that.
A large-scale reorganization of your home, office or life can seem like a tall order, but if you do it right, it can save you a lot of trouble down the line. And whether you’re moving or doing some rearranging, it makes sense to take the opportunity to pre-organize to ensure a smooth transition.
One of the biggest organizing mistakes you can make is putting things away only to forget where you put them the next time you need them. Labeling as you go can help avoid future stress and messes that could lead you to reorganize everything all over again.
When you have all kinds of boxes, drawers and other items to label, a label maker can be a huge help. Rather than having to hand-label everything, consider an automated label maker like the Brother P-touch PT-D200 that features a full keyboard and four one-touch buttons so you can easily change fonts and add symbols and frames. The machine also allows you to store up to 30 “favorite” labels and features numerous designs and patterns for customization. In addition, Brother P-touch labels are durable and will last over time.
Here are a few labeling and organizing tips that will help you keep everything in order and avoid headaches down the line:
* Use expiration dates: If you’re installing a new smoke alarm, place a label on it so you know when it’s time to change the batteries. After you’ve cleaned and reorganized your refrigerator, make a habit of labeling leftovers to remind you when something’s about to expire and help simplify things the next time you clean the fridge.
* If you’re moving: One of the easiest ways to make sure boxes end up in the right place is to label them clearly with the proper destination. This is helpful whether you’re hiring movers or doing it yourself. If you know the boxes will immediately go into storage, don’t forget to label them and, if need be, keep a simple spreadsheet that tells where each box ended up so you know where to look for it.
* Seasonal shifts: Do you find yourself in a tizzy every time the weather takes a turn, tearing apart your closet or wherever you thought you put your hat and gloves? Dedicate a storage area for seasonal clothes and decorations, and place them in labeled containers to ease any stress caused by the shifting seasons.
* For new babies: Preparing for a new arrival is a joyous – yet busy – occasion. Labeling where you keep the clothes, diapers, bibs and other necessities can help sleep-deprived parents or visiting caretakers locate everything baby needs without having to dig through drawers and cabinets. If you use day care services, you can also label bottles and personal items to make things easy on your day care provider to avoid mix-ups.
* Eliminate cord confusion: When you peer behind your entertainment center and find a mass of cords, it can be a bit of a guessing game if you need to pick out the right one to move or disconnect. Save yourself some trouble and label each cord so you don’t have to face this dilemma each time something needs to be unplugged.
By organizing the right way the first time, you can make life easier and make big reorganizing efforts less frequent. For more labeling and organizational tips and products, visit www.brother-usa.com.